Saturday, August 2, 2008

We passed.

Chewie -- on her birthday -- passed the certification test "easily" -- none wrong, not the easy stuff we hadn't practiced, and not the hard stuff that she was taken in for extra after-class work to get better at... none of it was problematic.

We're coming home, diploma and ID badge and certification in hand.

Now, this is not an ending, of course... and our training will continue in earnest, for some time to come.

This is just the end of the beginning.

True, I'm quite sad to say goodbye to these folks -- the diabetic kidsa and their parents, Michele and her kids and husband; Kim and her family; and my friends Jenn, Shannon, Neal, and Kim and Kristy... sad to say goodbye to everyone, but I know I'll see many of them again, and be in touch, in consistent communication, online and otherwise, in the days and weeks and years ahead.

What a blessing.

I am quite excited to get back, can't wait, as Chewie gets a big-city whiff for the first time, on her 366th day of life. I'm also psyched to get back into the newsroom Monday, and see everyone, be 'me' again, as me as me can be, plus one.

And, by way of transition... to quote Mohammed Ali:

Me? We.

Indeed, I wouldn't have been writing this if not for the support, deep and lasting, profound and emotional, written and oral, financial and influential -- of so damn many of you. Thank you from here, and I'll see you -- this blog will of course continue, as Chewie's adventures in San Francisco begin -- I'll seeya on the other side.

We're off to graduation, and a Happy Birthday bash of sorts for Chewie... who had a bath before the certtification exam, and seems rather pleased with herself. Late tonight, Jenn and her mom Kristy are driving us to St Louis prior to my early morning flight to SFO. Three Califrnians, two dogs who've never been to Cali but are going there -- to live -- tomorrow.

Fantastic.

I saw all of this, this 'path ahead,' a few weeks back, in the first or second post... and this feeling i have right now, was a part of my prediction.

But I didn't realize how proud and blessed I'd feel (maybe because I usually feel prtoud, and always feel blessed!)

I mean, I knew I was going to be grateful for my family and friends who helped guide me here, to this experience, in so many ways... but I didn't know my profound gratitude and emotion would be so palpable, and I'd be so lucky with a crazy cute smart little dog, and I'd be so stoked to get out of this bubble, and also so changed, positively, for having been in it, confined, swamped with work and busy-ness in such a different-than-usual manner -- dog stuff! really! -- as it was such a rich, vivid, positive experience, and I've collected more than a few new, solid friendships. I didn't know, all of that, back then.

Now I do. Here I sit, a lucky man, again.

Thank you.

More -- much! -- very very soon.

SOTP: On Chewie's 1st birthday, "Fluorescent Adolescent" by The Arctic Monkeys, off the 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' album

1 comment:

Angela said...

Yay! You're coming home. Can't wait to see you ... and meet Chewie!

Travel safely...